- 1 kg green jackfruit
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 10 dinner rolls
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Slice the jackfruit as thinly as possible. Seeds don’t need to be discarded as they are soft.
- Sautee the garlic and onions in a little oil.
- Add the chilli powder, paprika and garlic powder and toast for 1 minute.
- Add the jackfruit.
- Add the mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add the vegetable broth. Turn up the heat to boiling. Once it starts to boil, take the heat down to low.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Stew the jackfruit mixture for 2 hours, until the jackfruit is tender. Once tender, pull it apart with a fork and spoon.
- Add the tomato sauce, smoked paprika, pepper and chilli powder to a pot.
- Simmer for a few minutes to combine.
Bake the jackfruit
- Drain the jackfruit and spread out on a baking pan.
- Top with BBQ sauce and mix well.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the mixture has caramelised
Make the sandwich
- Toast a dinner roll and slice down the middle.
- Fill it with the pulled jackfruit. Add a leafy green for texture.
- Serve with a side of achara if desired!
This will make more than 10 sliders. However, the jackfruit can be stored- the longer its stored, the more flavourful it becomes!