- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 to 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup basil, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Mushrooms ( you can use as many different varieties as you want)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms sliced lengthwise
- or 8 button mushrooms sliced lengthwise or 8 oyster mushrooms , sliced lengthwise
- Soak the mushrooms in the water. If using dried mushrooms, soak these for an hour.
- Save the water to be used for the sauce.
To make the sauce
- Heat up a pan on high.
- Add the garlic cloves and onions and sear till they brown. Put them in a blender.
- Boil water for the pasta. When ready, add the pasta and boil for a couple of minutes. After two minutes, scoop out 1/4 cup of the pasta water and add to the blender.
- Continue boiling pasta, drain and set aside when ready. Save the pasta water.
- Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, almond milk to the blender. Blend till creamy.
- Heat up a pan. When hot, add some of the pasta water or water you soaked the mushrooms in. Add the mushrooms and simmer till tender.
- Add the Alfredo sauce to the mushrooms and stew for two minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat on low. Add the pasta and combine well.
- Portion and serve. Garnish with chopped basil.